Children today are exposed to a wide range of substances, materials and products, some of which can lead to long-term effects on health that are yet to be fully known.
On a whole, babies are more vulnerable to potential problems caused by questionable ingredients in conventional skincare products because their skin is ten times thinner than an adult’s.
Therefore, exposure to ingredients found in conventional skincare products, including numerous unknown synthetic, toxic, fragranced and GMO material, can cause various complications including hormonal disruption, childhood eczema and allergies in children.
Fragrances are one of the leading causes of allergy and irritation. The word ‘parfum’ in an ingredient listing could potentially mean the risk of a multitude of hidden synthetic chemicals.
Even a skincare range labelled “Natural” could be harmful to your baby or child. This is because the word natural in most skincare products can be tricky - as it stands, there is little to no regulation on the word “natural” anywhere in the world.
Skincare products need only contain around 1% of natural ingredients to be called “natural”, even if the remaining 99% of content is a mix of man-made chemicals, water and others. Since there is no regulation for what is termed “natural skincare products”, manufacturers often place a “natural” claim on the label of products, even those containing artificial, processed or synthetic ingredients, GMO and toxic substances, and probably one or two botanical non-organically grown plant extracts.
For a product to be allowed to claim itself as organic, it should be formulated using organically farmed ingredients and be free from parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate, genetic modification (GMO), petroleum derivatives, phenoxyethanol, fragrance and allergens.
World-recognised certifications like those from Ecocert Cosmos guarantee that 95% of the ingredients in a product are naturally derived and a high percentage of those ingredients are organic.
In order for a product to receive certified organic accreditation, it must meet strict guidelines from national and international governing bodies. Formulating certified organic products can be challenging as there are a lot of forbidden raw materials, but with a lot of work and effort, a good quality and safe organic product can be produced.
So, the next time you’re look for effective, safe and natural options for your baby, always choose products with organic certification endorsements - making a safe decision for your baby is, after all, good for your little one, and the world at large.
The Offspring Baby Essentials range has passed the strict Ecocert Cosmos standard criteria and does not contain GMO (Genetically modified organisms), nano-particles, synthetic perfumes or dyes, phthalates, parabens, chlorine, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), triclosan, phenoxyethanol, T.E.A, D.E.A or petrochemical derived mineral oil. Offspring Baby Essentials include a minimum of 99.0% of natural ingredients with the rest consisting of Ecocert approved substances.